Wednesday, October 7, 2009

0002 - Arabbers in Fells Point





















Photo credit:

An Arabber's wagon parked at Broadway near Fells Point.East Baltimore, MD, March 1980. http://tgcd.org/imgs/exh/5_6.jpg


My research proposal topic that I will be conducting research on for the class will be on the history of “Baltimore Arabbers” and the role they played in the growth of Baltimore City. I will attempt to explore the life of this old tradition in Baltimore City neighborhoods that is slowly disappearing. The days of horse and wagon street vendors riding through the block selling different items was one of the customs that made Baltimore what it is today. I chose this topic because it reminds me of one of my first experiences I had of “culture shock” being a kid from New York adjusting to life in Baltimore. The horse and wagons layered with their own style of decorated fruits and vegetables and the arabbers with their distinct sounds are things that separated one from the other.


I think this topic will contribute to the class’s understanding of Baltimore’s history by explaining and presenting information that helps you understand where the roots of a Baltimore tradition started from and where it stands today. I will try to put a face to the people many of us may see or ride past daily but never stop to realize where these different street venders come from. Those that may or may not be familiar with “Baltimore Arabbers” need to know that there is an interesting history behind the old horse and wagons you see strolling through the streets of Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment